Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dinner & Dance


 

 






 

We always look for something.  But what we find is never enough.  We keep searching.  The purpose is not the thing to be found, but the search itself.  We search not to be lost.  We search to be found.  We search not to be found.

 

We look for small things, things that are easily found.  Friendship, passion, home, money… But these things just divert us from the real purpose.  In truth we look for things that are not to be found.  Peace, endless love, a soulmate, purpose of life, the big savior… We look for things that we are certain we can’t find so the search never ends.  And we keep searching…

 

Silently looking at the mountain tops buried in the darkness that wrap the rice fields that surround my being, a frog jumps over my foot. I wish I was looking for that frog.  It would have been so easy.  But I never looked for anything that could be found either.  And I never wanted to find it.  I am glad I haven’t yet, keep the search…

 
 
Friday night, Julie, Daddo and Bhim came for dinner.  They brought 2 bottles of homemade raksi, buffalo killer.  We ate chicken for a change. Chicken or goat meat is only eaten once a week or if there are guests.  They stir-fry  the meat with masala and it tastes incredibly good.  The masala is also handmade;  cumin,  coriander, fennel seeds, white pepper, cinnamon, cardamom and red hot chili peppers are crashed with a stone on a stone to very small bits. It is hot but very tasty.

The power was gone, which happens very often in the evenings, so we ate on the mat on floor. Candles were lit.  The kids cleaned up after their dinner and got shawls from inside and started dancing in the patio.  We sang and they danced.   We were zipping our warm raksis on the side. Sarita hates cigarettes but guests are allowed to to what they please.  We are from another culture so for Nepali it doesn’t matter what we do. They accept it.  This is a beautiful way to look at the world.  I wish everybody would be concerned about their own sins instead of budding into others.

 


Julie and Dadoo came from France.  Julie came 3 years ago for 2 months and ended up staying 4.  She fell in love with this village and came back soon with her husband.  She founded a association in France and started working with FaceNepal.  They built the class that we teach in the village.  Now she is here for a new project.  They opened a tailoring workshop for the women of  Tharu village.  30 women are in training there.  With donations they bought 8 sewing machines, rented a studio, and brought a teacher. The women will learn for 6 months, they have 3 groups every day.  Her friend Daddo came with her to help and I know that Julie is dying to move to Nepal. She will as soon as she has everything sorted out back in France.

The power came back on.  The kids brought the radio from inside.  Playing music and dancing they were going crazy.  After a while grown up joined the dance with the quick influence of the raksi. They wanted me to dance as well, but I was way too shy back then, I told them I have to watch first.

 
 
Sitting on the mat with the raksi in one hadn and a cigarette in the other, all of a sudden everything slowed down.  I could see children, men and women dancing in slow motion at first.  Then everything stopped.  The dance was hanging in the air.   Motion stood still.  The music changed when it reached my ears and my mind.  Fireflies stopped flying, crickets stopped singing.  Wind stopped blowing.  I saw myself from up high.  I went up in the sky turning around myself.  I could see my face covered with sadness.  But right in the middle of that deep sadness I was something shining.  It was something I didn’t exist in me anymore. Something I was certain I lost and never even bothered to look for anymore.  Here, in a country called Nepal, in a village called Patalahara, among people unaware of a lot that we call a must , with their small houses, with their electrical power off and on, with their wells depending on the rain that falls,  metal plates, dal, bhat and tharkaries, mats, 2 set of clothes,  five stones, bottle cap toys, cob walls, small TVs, wooden beds,  firewood stoves,   goats and their forever smiling beautiful faces and their belief of the next day will be better than today that warms my heart, I found something I was missing.

Hope....

 

No comments: